I love sharing embroidery hoop art projects here at Flamingo Toes and that is what I have for you today – but in mini version! Everything is cuter in mini version right? These Chalk Embroidery Mini Hoop Ornaments are quick and easy and would look so cute on your tree!
I had so much fun designing these! They have a sweet “chalk art” look to them but they are made with super simple embroidery stitches! They are fast projects to make too since they are just 3″ hoops. Easy and fun! And of course they’re all decked out with pom poms and polkadot ribbon – because if you can wrap something in pom poms . . why wouldn’t you??
Aren’t they cute? I love those sketchy looking letters!
Here’s what you’ll need to make them: (amounts are for 1 ornament)
- 3″ embroidery hoop
- Black fabric – about 5″ square
- Embroidery floss – I used white, red and a sage green
- Coordinating pom pom trim
- chalk marking pen or something similar
- Hot Glue
- Ribbon or other trim to hang them
- Hoop Art Patterns
Trace your design onto your hoop. I don’t have a fancy tracing box, I just tape the pattern in the window (during the day) and place the fabric over it, then trace it. Place your fabric in the little hoop.
Stitch out your design. Here are instructions on how to stitch each ornament:
- I started with the “Joy” hoop. Place your fabric in the embroidery hoop so the design is centered. Cut a length of embroidery floss and seperate out three strands of the floss. All the stitches in the hoops are done with 3 strands of floss at a time. Thread the needle with the strands of floss and tie a small knot in the end.
- Outline the letters with a back stitch.
- Once each letter is outlined, fill in the open spaces with diagonal lines of stitching. Keep some spaces between some of the lines, you don’t want it to completely fill the space. This will give the letters more of a “chalk” look.
- Repeat with any other letters on the design.
- Stitch the flourishes with a back stitch.
- For the NOEL hoop, follow the same instructions as above.
- For the Believe hoop – stitch the letters with a back stitch. Back stitch the outline of the heart and then fill in the heart with diagonal stitches in the same way you did the letters. Stitch the leaves by back stitching the stem, then do a single stitch for each leaf.
- For the Hope hoop, stitch the letters with a chain stitch. Stitch the star with straight stitches. Decorate the hoop with scattered French Knots.
- For the Snowflake hoop, stitch all the lines of the snowflake with a chain stitch. Fill in the open spaces with French Knots.
If you need instructions on these, click here – I have mini tutorials for all the basic embroidery stitches.
Repeat for as many of the ornaments as you’d like!
Finish off the edge by trimming the fabric and hot gluing it to the inside back of the embroidery hoop.
If you want, glue some trim around the hoop. I used this coordinating pom pom trim but lace or rick rack would be fun too!
Finish off the back of your hoop by cutting a circle of felt the size of the hoop. Glue in place on the back.
Add some ribbon trim for hanging and you are all finished!
I hope you give them a try!
Here are a few more fun Christmas projects to check out!