I am so excited about this project! I have been dying to do a furniture refinish for a while – well I dove in with both feet!
We have been in need of a new Entertainment System for a while – everything was out in the open and games and components and cords were all out there and messy for everyone to see. Yuck.
I fell in love with the idea of converting a dresser to our new entertainment system and I LOVE how it turned out!
The bright pop of turquoise looks so great in the room and I am so happy that all the games and wires and paraphernalia don’t show anymore!
And here’s the before!
I started with this fabulous curvy dresser we found on Craigslist – she was super pretty but kind of scratched up and worn.
So I am BY FAR not a furniture refinishing expert – so don’t take me as a super authority. ;) But I can promise you that if I can do this – you can!!
Wood Putty (for filling scratches and holes)
Primer – I used Valspar primer – 5 cans
Spray Paint – Tropical Oasis – 7 cans
Minwax Wood Stain in Pearl Gray
I started by sanding the top of the dresser since I wanted that part to be stained gray.
I can’t stress enough to wear a good dust mask if you’re sanding – especially on older pieces. I will confess that mine was not as well fitted as it should have been and I was sick with a cold for 2 or 3 days from breathing in the gunk. So learn from my mistakes k?
Once I’d removed all the stain from the top and it’s sanded smooth – I applied the gray stain. I used about 3 coats.
After the stain was dry I covered the top with plastic and taped it off, making sure all the stain was covered. Now it was all ready for priming!
I started with the drawers. I removed the hardware and sprayed on the primer.
While the drawers were drying I worked on the body of the dresser. Doug put up this super awesome Paint Room in the garage for me – I felt like I was in a science lab or something.
I removed the slats and drawer stops for the top three and center sections that wouldn’t have drawers anymore. I filled the holes with wood putty and sanded them smooth.
Then I covered the body with a couple of coats of primer.
I also painted the hardware white for a nice bright look!
Once the dresser and drawers were primed, I painted them with about 2-3 coats of spray paint. It is so fun to see the color go on – it really makes the transformation fun!
When everything was dry we cut pieces of white beadboard to lay in the spaces where the drawers would be open – to finish off the shelf and make it even.
Doug also cut out some snazzy inserts for the drawers that I covered with some yummy Amy Butler fabric.
I just used spray adhesive to stick the fabric to the wood – and trimmed the back so it would lay flat.
Once everything was finished I added back on the hardware and we filled it up! I decided not to distress it – but I’m leaving that open as an option for the future. Depending on how much wear and tear it gets! :)
I’m so happy with how it came out!
The contrast of the gray wood stain with the bright turquoise goes with the room so perfectly.
And it’s plenty big enough for the crazy big TV and all the “gear” that the guys have!
It’s not perfect – but I’m so proud of how it turned out!
I’d love to know what you think too!
Linking up at Sunday Scoop, Today’s Creative Blog, Met Monday, Tutorials & Tips Tuesday, Shabby Creek Cottage, My Repurposed Life, 504 Main, Positively Splendid, and the other fabulous parties on the party page – make sure you check them out!